Ederson Injury

Ederson left dejected after being subbed off as a precautionary measure following a collision with Cristian Romero

Manchester City goalkeeper Ederson was visibly dejected and upset after Pep Guardiola was forced into subbing him off during their 2-0 win against Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League.

He played for 65 minutes and also made three saves to keep his team in the contest, but was unfortunate to not be able to complete the game.

Ederson Injury: Extent and possible return date

The Brazilian custodian’s injury occurred as he went to collect a 50-50 ball following a cross by a Tottenham player. Defender Cristian Romero was the other player involved in the come-together as he was trying to get to the ball to score. Luckily, Romero’s leading boot missed Ederson’s face by whiskers, but his hip caught the custodian in the head, leading to him falling flat to the ground.

The incident took place shortly after the hour-mark and led to the Manchester City goalkeeper receiving several minutes of attention from the medical staff. After that, he did continue for a couple of minutes, before Pep Guardiola was advised to bring Ederson off. Precaution regarding head injuries has increased in football and it was good to see the staff follow through with the same. Considering the player was walking comfortably afterward, he should be okay for the next game.

Substitute ‘keeper Stefan Ortega took his place between the sticks and put in a performance for the ages. However, Ederson was seen throwing a tantrum on the touchline as he kicked a water box, followed by throwing his hands up and then sulking with his head between his hands when he finally sat down. Matheus Nunes was seen consoling him after the incident.

Aftermath of the Brazilian being subbed off

Manchester City players celebrate their win against Tottenham. (Getty Images)

Manchester City were already 1-0 up when Ederson was subbed off due to injury. Shortly after Ortega came on, Dejan Kulusevski had a golden chance to bring Tottenham level but saw his shot stopped from point-blank range. Ortega made another clutch save late in the game to deny Heung-min Son.

Manuel Akanji was caught napping with the ball and had his pocket picked by Brennan Johnson before he passed the ball to Son. The South Korean forward darted goalwards but fired a tame effort, which Ortega did well to save with an outstretched leg.

Shortly after, Jeremy Doku won the penalty that Erling Haaland converted to make it 2-0 as the visitors secured a comfortable win in the end.